An article that got featured here http://healthmeup.com/opinion-diet-fitness/benefits-of-ballroom-dancing/31038
It was back in 2009 that I started with this dance form. Having been fascinated by watching latin dancing in movies, and Spanish culture in general I always wanted to learn this dance form. I was sick of the routine life of working, coming back home spending time on the internet and sleeping, and it was time to change that. Health was taking a toll too due to sedentary life style. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol. It was time to take charge and do things that I loved. I decided to start with Salsa but soon was fascinated to see Latin ballroom dancing, and decided this is it, this is what I want to learn. 5 years and still learning this dance form has given me a lot and I would love to share with you all the benefits that this dance form has given me.
- Posture: One of the first tangible benefits that you will start seeing once you start focusing on the technique in this dance form is your posture will improve like anything. You have to maintain a frame, hold your own frame and not put weight on your partner. Try this, roll your shoulders back and press it down. Extend your neck as if you are trying to touch the ceiling. There does your neck feel longer now? Do you feel taller? I was complimented by my mother who told me how I don’t slouch anymore while I walk.
- Balance: With the amount of spins that a ballroom dancer learns to do, your balance will improve tremendously. You will be learning how to transfer your body weight from one leg to the other. How to do multiple spins, how to spot at a point while spinning. How to make your partner spin. It will all go on to improve your body balance.
- Core strength: A lot of core strength is involved in doing the steps of latin ballroom dancing. A dancer trains to build his strength through various yoga/pilates exercises. Planks, leg raises, side bridge, wall sits all form a part of the warm up regime to help the dancer. All this will help to make your core stronger.
- Cardio: Dancing latin ballroom is seriously good cardio, if you follow the right technique. Just a minute of jive is as good as running for ten minutes. This will help strengthen your heart and lower your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Social benefits: Apart from all the physical benefits it also helps you pick up social skills. The more you attend social dancing events, you will learn how to ask your partners out to dance, and more importantly an opportunity to meet new people and learn from them.